24 August 2019

Waterfall Ways

“After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded” (John 13:5 KJV).

Humility is a waterfall. Innumerable drops of water flow together, never minding that they blend rather than stand out, never concerned whether passers-by notice the stirring sight or not. And every drop seeks the lowest spot.  
Jesus personified humility when He washed His disciples’ feet. He could have ignored their need; He could have told them to clean their own feet. Instead He willingly washed away the grime. And not only did He serve the ones who loved Him, but He served the one who would betray Him with a kiss.
Imagine washing the filthy feet of someone who despises you. Maybe that water felt warm and comforting. Perhaps Jesus tenderly patted dry the feet of Judas, symbolizing that the Savior of the world loves all men and longs to meet our need.
Like a waterfall, humility bends and quietly lowers itself without a fuss. Humility neither boasts of its status nor wallows in self-abasement; humility forgets itself and serves others to the glory of God.
Caring for children can be messy. One night I found myself cleaning up a small person’s ejected supper. As I emptied a bucket into the sink, I realized that my attitude was as polluted as the liquid gurgling down the drain. My thoughts lacked humility: “Why do I have to be up at this hour in the chilly, dark house? After all, I deserve a good night’s sleep in a warm bed.” Then I reflected on how my Lord’s humility bends, serves, loves. Humility forgets itself and thanks God for the opportunity to help.
Waterfall humility understands that the way up is the way down. Jesus could have reminded the disciples of His authority over them; He could have demanded that Judas deal with the dirt. But God the Son humbly lowered Himself to meet their need.

No comments:

Post a Comment