30 August 2024

Toilet Paper and the Past
We would soon run out of air freshener; I wondered if I had more stored under the bed. Instead, I discovered a plastic shopping bag containing six rolls of one-ply toilet paper. Oh, no. I hoped we had used up all of that kind, even though we sure were grateful for it when store supplies ran low years ago. 

Reflecting on the past can be like finding air freshener under the bed; pondering pleasant memories brings refreshment. And we can also review helpful lessons learned.

But sometimes we unearth memories that should be exposed to the light and then disposed of. If self-pity, wrath, resentment, and other sinful feelings result from what we uncover, then we dare not dwell on those recollections. Instead, we can cultivate a spirit of forgiveness toward others, pray for our persecutors, and peacefully move on in our minds. After all, Paul in Philippians 4:8 shared a list of the kinds of thoughts we should embrace. And like the under-the-bed toilet paper, poisonous thoughts from the past simply must be flushed.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true ! God has been speaking to me about this. He has been leading people to me from my past that I need to forgive. I find that it’s very freeing to forgive those who have hurt me. May God help us all to be open to the conviction that our Lord places on our hearts.He helps us to remember that holding onto unforgiveness in our hearts only hurts us. Those who have hurt us are very often totally unaware of what they have done. 🩷🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. IN USING ONE PLY WE ARE CURRENTLY REDUCED TO A PRIMITIVE STATE

    ReplyDelete