31 December 2023

Lasagna and Lot

I recently discovered oven-ready lasagna noodles; you arrange these in the pan without having to boil them first. The only problem was that when I bit into the finished product, the noodles crunched. Reflecting on this later, I began to wonder if the pasta box contained instructions that I had neglected to read—it did. The dish had required extra liquid to properly soften the noodles. But the next time I made lasagna with oven-ready noodles, I overcompensated and the dish came out somewhat soupy instead.

Somehow my lasagna adventures reminded me of Lot’s life. I recently came across a book title that seemed to question why Peter referred to Lot as “just” and “righteous”; other times I’ve heard of those who hold up Lot as an example of a fruitless child of God.

But there is no doubt that Lot trusted in his coming Savior, since this fact is confirmed in the New Testament. Besides that, Lot’s righteousness was imputed to him.

And Lot did indeed differ from his neighbors, which is the fruit of faith. Their wicked ways vexed Lot daily, and he ultimately fled that sinful city without looking back.

In the Bible we have been given the perfect recipe for the Christian life. And yet because of yielding to the flesh, sometimes the noodles swim in sauce. Other times I experience a disconcerting crunch. But like Lot, I am not depending on my own attempts to follow the recipe perfectly: I am depending on the One who did.

1 comment: